Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Weekly Wine Tasting - Gnarly Head

 Name - Gnarly Head

Variety - Merlot

Region - Central Coast, California, USA

Year - 2019

Price - $8.99

Wine Critic Review
This widely available bottling impresses on multiple levels, beginning with a ripe and rugged nose of boysenberry, cherry, leather, iodine and smoke. There's compelling texture to the sip, where smoked meat, mocha and coffee flavors sink into the deep, dark fruit.
https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/gnarly-head-2019-merlot-central-coast/
Wine Folly Notes
Merlot has strong black cherry notes with a smooth chocolaty finish (132). Merlot's from California have strong plum and cherry notes with a finish of chocolate and vanilla (132). It is suggested that you decant for 30 minutes and spend $15 on a bottle. This bottle retails for $15 dollars so I got a steal it seems.



My Review
I really liked this wine. It had strong notes of plum and cherry but it was not the sweetest merlot I've ever had. As is standard with my reviews I did not decant or eat with any food. When I looked up a review, I was surprised as WineEnthusiast had it as its #9 best wines under $15 dollars so it seems like I got a steal with this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Time Weekly - Santa Julia Malbec

Name  - Santa Julia Reserva Variety  - Malbec Region  - Argentia Year  - 2020 Price  - $10.99 Wine Critic Review A fruitball of a Malbec, wi...